Wednesday, October 30, 2013



Helping the Helper

Someone asked me the other day how he could pray for me-- as a counselor. He reiterated the request in such a way that I would understand he was asking how to pray for all counselors in general.

It didn't take me long to come up with a couple of things. I think they would apply to most in the counseling profession--though someone who has been at it longer than I have might have more to add. I had just two. Interestingly enough, they are two perspectives on the same big idea.

The first request?: That I remember that I cannot pick up the problems and pain of my clients. Oh I can empathize, I can present options, I can teach helpful skills, but I have to constantly remember that taking on and becoming burdened with their pain drastically affects my objectivity, creativity, and helpfulness. 

The second?: That I remember that I am not the fixer. Oh I can empathize, I can present options, I can teach helpful skills, I have objectivity and creativity to offer, but I cannot change or fix the heart--where the real healing takes place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment